Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Assistance Forum
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Assistance Forum (ATSILAF) is a specialist sub-forum of the Queensland Legal Assistance Forum (QLAF).
The purpose of the ATSILAF is to promote cooperation and collaboration between legal assistance service providers and non-legal services, including social, community and health services working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
The ATSILAF considers service planning and best practice in service delivery to maximise the reach of legal assistance services available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples across Queensland.
The ATSILAF may include representatives nominated by QLAF members who respond to the legal needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, including non-legal services.
Individual members of peak representative bodies who are nominated to join the working group will represent the views of the peak on a strategic basis.
Current membership is comprised of representatives from:
- Aboriginal Family Legal Service Southern Queensland (AFLSSQ)
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service (ATSILS)
- Bar Association of Queensland
- Community Legal Centres Queensland
- Department of Justice and Attorney-General (DJAG)
- Institute for Urban Indigenous Health
- Legal Aid Queensland
- Queensland Indigenous Family Violence Legal Service (QIFVLS)
- Queensland Law Society.
Specialists or experts may be invited to attend, and members can nominate proxies to attend on their behalf.
- To lead discussions around systemic change and advocacy between legal assistance service providers working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- To identify, progress and implement priority initiatives and maintain flexibility to address new initiatives as these are identified.
- To share information and resources to facilitate the implementation of agreed priority initiatives.
- To advise the QLAF on issues relevant to the provision of legal services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- To uphold the principles of the Closing the Gap National Agreement in a manner consistent with the priority reforms.
Terms of reference
The Terms of Reference establishes the purpose, membership, roles and responsibilities of the ATSILAF.