Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Assistance Forum
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Assistance Forum (ATSILAF) is a specialist sub-forum of the Queensland Legal Assistance Forum (QLAF).
The purpose of the ATSILAF is to promote cooperation and collaboration between legal assistance service providers and non-legal services, including social, community and health services working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
The ATSILAF considers service planning and best practice in service delivery to maximise the reach of legal assistance services available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples across Queensland.
The ATSILAF may include representatives nominated by QLAF members who respond to the legal needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, including non-legal services.
Individual members of peak representative bodies who are nominated to join the working group will represent the views of the peak on a strategic basis.
Current membership is comprised of representatives from:
- Aboriginal Family Legal Service Southern Queensland (AFLSSQ)
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service (ATSILS)
- Bar Association of Queensland
- Community Legal Centres Queensland
- Department of Justice and Attorney-General (DJAG)
- Institute for Urban Indigenous Health
- Legal Aid Queensland
- Queensland Council of Social Service (QCOSS)
- Queensland Indigenous Family Violence Legal Service (QIFVLS)
- Queensland Law Society
- TASC National.
Specialists or experts may be invited to attend, and members can nominate proxies to attend on their behalf.
Terms of reference
- Promote cooperation and collaboration within legal assistance service providers and other non-legal services working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Consider existing service provision, including outreach, and best practice in service design to inform:
- strategies to deliver client-focused services, and
- sector feedback to the Queensland Government on the allocation of any additional funding that becomes available for this priority client group, including proposing and/or sponsoring applications for project funding.
- Consider, develop and promote best practice strategies across legal assistance services for the delivery of legal and related services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, including the areas of:
- service provision to communities in rural, regional and remote communities, and
- legal assistance services are accessible and providing culturally appropriate services.
- To lead discussions around systemic change and advocacy between legal assistance service providers working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- To identify, progress and implement priority initiatives and maintain flexibility to address new initiatives as these are identified.
- To share information and resources to facilitate the implementation of agreed priority initiatives.
- The CEO, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders Legal Service, is the inaugural Chair.
- The secretariat support is provided by DJAG.
- The ATSILAF will meet at least 4 times a year.
- Specialists or experts may be invited to attend.
- The working group will provide updates to the QLAF at least 2 times per year.
- Decisions will be on the basis on consensus among members. Members may choose to record dissenting views.
- A record of each meeting will be kept by way of meeting minutes. The meeting minutes will be distributed to the members for confirmation.