Queensland legal assistance strategy
Under the National Legal Assistance Partnership 2020–25 (NLAP) agreement, states and territories are required to develop a legal assistance strategy.
The Queensland legal assistance strategy (the strategy):
- estimates the level and nature of legal need in Queensland
- identifies priorities and areas of focus for the continued delivery of mainstream, specialist and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island legal assistance services
- describes specific priority client groups relevant to Queensland
- describes how the state will meet the objectives and outcomes of the NLAP and the approaches to ensure that legal assistance services are delivered in accordance with the National Strategic Framework for Legal Assistance.
The strategy sets out 3 focus areas:
Our priority client groups
In addition to the national priority client groups set out in the NLAP, Queensland recognises 3 additional priority client groups:
- people who identify as LGBTIQA+
- refugees and migrants
How we will action the strategy commitments
In accordance with the requirements of the NLAP, an action plan reflecting the focus areas set out in the strategy is currently being developed and will be published by 30 September 2022.
For more information on the strategy and action plan please email the Legal Assistance Strategy and Funding team at LASF@justice.qld.gov.au.