Consultation for a new Queensland Women's Strategy
The Queensland Government is committed to:
- gender equality across all Queensland communities
- promoting and protecting women’s rights, interests and wellbeing,
- recognising and celebrating the achievements of women and girls, and
- ensuring women’s full social and economic participation in society.
The Queensland Women’s Strategy 2016-21 (the strategy) outlines the Queensland Government’s vision for women and girls, with an emphasis on gender equality and related issues across participation and leadership, economic security, safety, and health and wellbeing.
We are proud of the action taken under the strategy, and public consultation on a new strategy was held from Thursday 12 August to Friday 8 October 2021 to build on the progress and achievements made.
Everyone who participated will help build the vision for a gender equal future and how government agencies, industry and the community can collaborate to achieve gender equality.
We will review the feedback received and incorporate this into the new strategy, which will be released in early 2022.
Opportunities to have your say
During the consultation phase, we provided a number of ways for Queenslanders to have their say to inform the development of a new women's strategy:
- an online survey for all Queenslanders
- an online survey for young Queenslanders aged 15 to 25 years
- written submissions in response to questions outlined in the discussion paper.
We also provided 2 promotional toolkits—one for the general public and one for 15 to 25 year olds—to help Queenslanders spread the word about the consultation.
The closing date for completion of the online survey and to submit a written submission was 5pm Friday 8 October 2021.
What do Queensland women think about gender equality?
During Queensland Women’s Week 2021, we asked women who attended the Queensland Women's Week Forum the following questions:
- How can we make the future better for Queensland women and girls?
- How can we empower women and girls?
Watch the video below to discover their answers.
We also asked young women about gender equality, women's rights and respect. Watch the video below to find out what they had to say.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to find out more about the progress of the new strategy.
You can also like our Queensland Women Facebook page to get involved in the conversation and stay up-to-date.