banner image

Compliments and complaints

Compliments and complaints

You feedback is welcomed by our office, both positive and negative. If you would like to provide feedback or make a complaint about our office or staff, you can phone or send us an email or letter.

Our phone number is 07 3738 9513.

Our email address is

Our postal address is Office of the Public Advocate, GPO Box 149, Brisbane QLD 4001.


The Public Advocate is not authorised to action complaints about another agency, organisation or service provider.

Complaints about our office are addressed using the Department of Justice and Attorney-General’s Client Complaint Management Policy (opens in new window). The Department’s complaints process aims to be:

  • fair
  • timely
  • easy to use
  • confidential.

There is an easy-to-read guide (opens in new window) about our complaints process.

Any personal information you provide when making a complaint, including email addresses, will only be used to address your complaint.

Human rights complaints

You can make a human rights complaint using our existing complaints process if you think that your human rights have been breached by an action or decision of the Public Advocate or the office.

There are 23 human rights included in the Human Rights Act. Click here to read more information about the Human Rights Act and the 23 rights that it establishes (opens in new window).

Our office checks for breaches of human rights in any complaints that we receive, whether you have identified a human rights concern or not.

Privacy complaints

The Information Privacy Act requires our office to comply with 11 Information Privacy Principles to protect your personal information. This includes how your personal information is collected, stored and handled. If you think that our office has breached your privacy, you can make a complaint using our existing complaints process.

Help to make a complaint

You may like to seek support from a family member, friend, carer or advocate to help you make a complaint. They can help you to write an email or letter to our office. If you give them permission, they could assist you to telephone our office about your complaint.

Interpreter icon

If English is not your first language, assistance is available through the Translating and Interpreter Service (phone 131 450).

The National Relay Service is available to assist people who are deaf or hearing impaired:

National Relay Service logo

  • TTY users phone 133 677
  • Speak and listen (speech-to-speech relay) phone 1300 555 727
  • Internet relay users connect to the National Relay Service.