Queensland Indigenous Family Violence Legal Service
Queensland Indigenous Family Violence Legal Service (QIFVLS) in Cairns is committed to providing a free legal service for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people affected by family violence and/or sexual assault in Queensland.
- help explain legal rights and responsibilities
- outline various options and steps to solve your legal problems
- go to court and support clients through the process
- connect to free counselling and support services such as health, housing and financial advisors
- offer information sessions, factsheets and resources in the areas of law, child protection, DFV, family law, victims assistance, witness assistance law and victim support (sexual assault).
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples—and their children—who are experiencing or have experienced family violence or sexual assault and are living in Queensland are eligible for QIFVLS services.
QIFVLS pledges to build and maintain strong relationships with community groups, schools and service providers through displays and information booths, presenting education sessions (legal or non-legal) and holding and attending community events.