Who holds the information

Apply to the agency that has the documents you want to access. If more than one agency has documents you are interested in, you will need to apply to each agency separately.

For all queries relating to information held by the Queensland Police Service, please contact their Right to Information and Privacy office on (07) 3364 4666 or rti@police.qld.gov.au.  

For all queries relating to information held by Queensland Corrective Services, please contact their Right to Information and Privacy office on (07) 3565 7698 or RTIQCS@corrections.qld.gov.au.

For all queries relating to information held by the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT), please contact the Tribunal registry on 1300 753 228 or enquiries@qcat.qld.gov.au.

Find out who to contact in other agencies.

Please note the Attorney-General and the Department of Justice and Attorney-General are separate entities under the RTI and IP Acts, so if you are interested in documents held by the department and the Attorney-General, you will need to make 2 separate applications. If you apply only to the department to access documents, we cannot include the Attorney-General’s office in the search for documents. Likewise, the Attorney-General’s office cannot include the department in their searches.

Making an RTI or IP application

To help us process your Department of Justice and Attorney-General, Right to Information (RTI) or Information Privacy (IP) request, complete the application form and give us enough information to identify the documents you are seeking.  For further information regarding information we hold, refer to frequently requested documents.

How to apply

To apply for information under the RTI or IP Acts, you need to:

  • complete the online application form or the paper application form (PDF, 207.8 KB)
  • pay the $51.70 application fee with your RTI access application, which cannot be waived (note: there is no application fee for IP applications)
  • ensure you provide an address where we can send written correspondence (postal address or email address)
  • provide an original certified copy of your identification (if the information you are requesting contains your personal information).
  • If you can’t access the forms online, ask us to send a paper copy of the application form and return it to us once completed.

    You may also need to pay processing or access charges. We will notify you of these once we have received and reviewed your application. Learn more about

RTI application fees and charges.

Credit card payments will be accepted as part of an  online application process. Credit card details will not be accepted for payment of the application fee via email, post, facsimile or telephone.  If you wish to pay by credit card, but not via the online application process, we can provide an URL (an internet address) that will direct you to a payment portal.

If you wish to pay by cheque or money order, please make it payable to the Department of Justice and Attorney-General and return to:

Right to Information and Privacy

Department of Justice and Attorney-General

GPO Box 149


Certified copy

An original certified copy is considered valid if it is witnessed by a lawyer, notary public, or a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Declarations.

Certified identity documents can be emailed or posted.

Examples of ID:

  • birth certificate
  • driver licence
  • identifying page of current passport
  • 18+ card
  • photographic student ID card from a recognised educational institution
  • birth extract
  • marriage certificate
  • naturalisation certificate or citizenship certificate
  • immigration papers or other documents issued by the Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Applicants in prison

If you are in prison, you or your agent/representative may provide a certified copy of your correctional centre ID card as certified by a correctional services officer.

Applying on someone’s behalf

If someone is acting as your agent or on your behalf, they must also provide evidence that they have authority to act on your behalf and a certified copy of their ID.

Information to provide

You need to give us enough information about the documents you are requesting to help us identify them. If you don’t give us enough information it may delay the processing of your application.

The type of information you need to provide will depend on the type of files you are after.

Type of information

Sufficient information criteria

Director of Public Prosecutions prosecution files

  • name of accused
  • date of birth of accused
  • name of victim
  • court date
  • court type (supreme, district or magistrates)
  • court location
  • offence (if known)

Crown Law

  • name of matter
  • subject of matter

Internal Audit

  • subject matter of audit
  • date of audit

Ethical Standards Unit

  • name of complainant
  • name of subject of complaint

Queensland Courts administrative files (not court files)

  • date of correspondence/incident/documents
  • subject of matter

Justice Services

  • names of parties

Liquor, Gaming and Fair Trading

  • name and address of venue
  • name of complainant

Corporate Services

  • subject matter and date range
  • any names or entities (e.g. businesses, companies)

Strategic Policy and Legal Services

  • subject type
  • date range

Other documents

  • enough information about the document to enable an officer to identify it

Accessing the documents

You have 40 business days after the date of the decision to access any released documents.


Right to Information and Privacy
Department of Justice and Attorney-General
GPO Box 149

Email: RTIAdministration@justice.qld.gov.au

Phone: (07) 3738 9893