The following units make up the Investigations and Enforcement branch.
Financial and Major Investigations
This unit handles large investigations that involve:
- systemic and serious misconduct by traders causing large-scale loss for consumers
- businesses that are repeatedly offending
- working with other agencies, including interstate or federal agencies
- claims of inappropriate use of trust account money by businesses and licensees in a range of regulated industries.
- investigates if a business has breached fair trading laws
- enforces fair trading laws in court or in the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT).
Consumer Product Safety
- educates the public about choosing safe products and using them safely
- investigates businesses that are selling unsafe products
- removes unsafe products from sale.
- provides statewide recommendations about
- investigation processes, enforcement procedures and briefs of evidence
- sufficiency of evidence to commence legal proceedings
- drafting court documents
- reports and advises on the progress of legal proceedings
- appears on behalf of OFT investigators in the Magistrates Court and the Chief Executive, Department of Justice and Attorney-General (DJAG) in QCAT disciplinary matters
- administers penalty infringement notices.